SMACO and Sustainable Development Goals
The work of SMACO contributes to enable the following Sustainable Development Goals:
SDG 1 (No Poverty) and SDG 2 (Zero Hunger). Route verification and clearance enable the local and nomadic population to move safely with their herds in search for water and vegetation. In addition, verified and cleared routes can also be used for transportation of goods, including food. Furthermore, SMACO is contributing to increasing awareness among the nomadic population about the threat posed by mines/ERW to their animals, on which they are very dependent in this harsh desert environment.
- SDG 5 (Gender Equality). SMACO ensures that gender concerns are mainstreamed into all components of the programme. This is mainly achieved through the fair employment of women, and representative information on the threat and impact of mines and ERW in the Territory of Western Sahara, east of the berm. Importantly, gender mainstreaming is promoting the development of non-discriminatory laws and policies at the local level.
- SDG 8 (Decent Work and Economic Growth). UNMAS; together with its partners UNMAS and contractors (Commercial companies as well as NGOs) are a source of decent and dignified employment for the local population. By providing sustainable jobs and promoting equality among its employees, SMACO contributes to economic growth in the local society.
- SDG 15 (Life on Land). SMACO is contributing to the clearance of contaminated areas is used by local communities’ construction, wells, seasonal grazing and herding of their flocks.
- SDG 16 (Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions). By destroying stockpiles of anti- personnel mines, clearing minefields and cluster strike areas as well as road clearance and verification, UNMAS WS enabled safe passage for MINURSO military observers and civilian logistical support. These actions facilitated the Mission’s mandate to monitor the ceasefire.
- SDG 17 (Partnerships for the Goals). By developing sustainable partnerships and working in cooperation with both local and international partners, SMACO is contributing to a developed Western Sahara free from the impact of mines and ERW.